Thursday, February 04, 2021

Movie review - "The Perils of Pauline" (1947) **1/2

 I don't know much about Pearl White but this felt fictionalised... just a vibe. It does capture a spirit of silliness and fun and is ideal for Betty Hutton, as the plucky sewer who becomes an actor, isn't very good then becomes famous as a star of silent serials.

Hutton has spunk and energy. She doesn't look a great physical type - I didn't buy her doing stunts - but she's fun. 

The film focuses a lot on her relationship with actor John Lund. I dislike Lund as an actor generally - this movie didn't make me change my mind. Billy de Wolfe is ideally cast as a camp actor who works with Hutton and Lund, and William Demarest is a director. It is sweet how Hutton is mentored by an old time actor, Constance Collier - their friendship is lovely and unexpected.

Director George Marshall worked in the silent film era and the movie has a lot of engaging affection for that period. I might like this movie more if I was more familiar with the era. In 1947 it would've been very much in the common memory.

People occasionally break out into song so technically it's a musical but there aren't that many songs so it doesn't feel like one.

No comments: