Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Random Thoughts on "Charlie's Angels" Reboot

Haven't seen it yet - this is going off the trailer(s) and various press reports. Some possible reasons why the public didn't go:
- Lack of star power. Everyone had heard of Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu and Bill Murray. Only Kirsten Stewart was super well known from current version. Elizabeth Banks and Patrick Stewart were kind of known. Maybe if Miley Cyrus had been in it.
- The trailer didn't seem that fun. Occasionally fun. Weirdly low energy. Low key techno, I think is the music - no pumping bass. It was too laid back.
- Elizabeth Banks' name is all over it. She intros the trailer, is prominent in the trailer, wrote, produced and directed. I actually think the film would've been better had she starred - she has high energy, the women in the film (as per the trailer) don't seem to be as much. But I do worry about bfilms where the one person wrote and directed and produced it, especially when they are cartoon-y movies and not personal projects. I feel this way when I see a man's name all over the credits too.
- No guy for the guys in the audience to hang on to. I know it's a girl orientated film for girls - get that, understand it, dig it. I just felt they could have shown a little bit more of a sympathetic guy - a bit more of that "cute nerd" for instance. I know women have that issue a lot, being completely sidelined in movies, and accept that.  It was just how I felt watching it.
- The film didn't feel as though it had a decent reason to exist. The 2000 version was a different take... what was this one's take? More feminist? More serious?

No comments: