Sunday, November 03, 2019

Movie review - "The Long Riders" (1980) ***1/2 (re-viewing)

I think I like this movie more as the years go on because I've gotten over its central flaw - lack of narrative build.As I've written before, this feels like an album rather than a movie - it's a collection of "tracks": the opening bank robbery, two Belle Starr tracks, being at home, the Northfield raid, the final shooting etc.

The device of casting brothers works wonderfully - though the quality of acting varies widely. All the Carradines are good, very distinct personalities. Stacy Keach was great but James was dull and looked silly with his hair. The Quaids were strong (Dennis seems so young) and I liked the Guests, though both their characters seemed similar.

James Whitmore is fantastic as the professional no-nonsense Pinkerston and Pamela Reed is fun as Belle Star, as is James Remar as her husband. The female characters have a little to do though not a lot.

I wasn't wild about the slow motion action sequences but loved the atmosphere.

No comments: