Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Thoughts on Albert Finney

Have a confession to make - I really hope this doesn't come across as mean spirited by... I've never been a big fan of Albert Finney. In Tom Jones he's sensational. Ditto Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

Too often he was boorish - as in Two for the Road he yells at Audrey Hepburn all the time. Or mannered - as in Murder on the Orient Express. Or he was in parts I wish someone else had played - like Skyfall in a role clearly written for Sean Connery. Or cameos where you wished it was a bigger star - like The Bourne Ultimatum or Oceans 12.

But I love how he took chances, worked with new directors, had great taste. He was wonderfully subtle in films like A Man With No Importance. A fine, fine actor. Not a legend, at least not to me, but he had a lot of integrity and did a lot of good work.

No comments: