Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Movie review - "The Desert Fox" (1951) ***1/2

This starts marvellously, with a brilliant pre credit sequence of British soldiers trying to assassinate Rommel, but then for me never quite got its rhythm. I love the attempt at quality - and some of it was great: the scenes where Everett Sloane threatens James Mason, the acting, the fact they didn't sell out with the casting (there's no bland juveniles, Jessica Tandy plays the wife, Cedric Hardwicke plays a German), the scene where Mason farewells Tandy, the assassination attempt at Hitler. I recognise it was a tricky film to make so soon after the war.

But it felt clunky to me. Nunnally Johnson's script doesnt quite get its groove in the middle - it feels patchy with re-cappy dialogue. I think Johnson did a good job under difficult conditions.

No comments: