Saturday, October 13, 2018

Movie - "Murder in the Rue Morgue" (1971) *** (warning: spoilers)

The reputation of this picture isn't high - it was one of AIP's second Poe cycle, directed like many of them were by Gordon Hessler. I actually liked it more than I thought it would - it felt a little bit cut about but not tremendously and had some good things about it.

I didn't mind that much they disregarded Poe's book - rather this is a Phantom of the Opera knock off with Herbert Lom reprising that part (he played it in the 1962 Hammer film) as an actor getting revenge on the a theatre company. The company do Grand Guignol, including an adaptation of Murders in the Rue Morgue, which I liked. It's a decent story, well thought out, and impressive production values.

Two flaws for me. First Jason Robards in a role clearly meant for Vincent Price. AIP must have thought "oh Robards is a big theatre actor he'll be great" but he's not nearly big, flamboyant or fun enough - he's too raspy, realistic. I so wish Price was in this . (He was fighting with AIP over money at the time).

There's also Christina Kauffman's performance. Her character is key - Lom's love/obsession for her drives this - but she's a flat damp squib. I guess the character is meant to be passive but she's really dully depicted.

Still, like I said, I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

No comments: