Sunday, December 18, 2016

My top 10 comedies

The Guardian published a list of several comedian's favorite comedies.

Procrastinating, I thought I'd add mine...

1) Flying High (1982) - called Airplane! in the US I saw this film countless times growing up and it's still great in part because it has a solid story (filmed seriously as Zero Hour)
2) Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1974) - I'm limiting myself to one Monty Python film, this remains as brilliant as it ever was, with divine acting, writing and design.
3) Annie Hall (1977) - I was a bit intimidated by Woody Allen's critical reputation growing up, that I delayed seeing his films. I wasn't aware how flat out funny so many of his movies were, such as this.
4) Stripes (1981) - limiting myself to one Bill Murray (the others would be Ghostbusters and Meatballs), this is a brilliant service comedy with some stand out support performances from Warren Oates, John Candy and John Larroquette.
5) Clueless (1995) - helped revive the teen movie in the 90s, a very funny, sweet film which promised a bigger career for Alicia Silverstone than the one that eventuated.
6) A Night at the Opera (1935) - purists prefer Marx Brothers where there's no straight story or musical interludes. I think they work well here - gives the brothers a goal and the opera setting has a sense of wonder about it.
7) Dad and Dave Come to Town (1938) - hokey but very sweet old Aussie film.
8) Spy (2013) - I loved Bridesmaids but limiting myself to one Melissa McCarthy I'll go for this one - fantastic story and exciting action.
9) The Wedding Crashers (2005) - the film loses its way in the second half but the first half is Heaven.
10) Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - the duo made funnier films but this has magic about it.

No comments: