Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My top 10 random RKO films

In honour of Richard Jewell's book on RKO I thought I'd do a top ten of my favourite random RKO movies-  not the classics, thank you very much, just films I was interested in from The RKO Story and late night TV:
1) His Kind of Woman (1951) - bizarre Farrow/Mitchum/Russell noir which starts out noir and becomes slapstick comedy
2) Seven Keys to Baldpate (three versions) - RKO just kept remaking this
3) Action in Arabia (1943) - exotic WW2 on the backlot stuff with George Sanders as an action hero
4) Five Came Back (1939) - perhaps John Farrow's best ever "B"
5) At Sword's Point (1951) - really fun swashbuckler
6) Riff Raff (1947) - fun late night TV fare with Pat O'Brien pretending to be Bogart or Alan Ladd
7) Bedlam (1946) - perhaps the least well known of the Val Lewtons but I love it
8) Seven Days Leave (1943) - random fact: Victor Mature in a musical was box office gold in the 40s
9) The Falcon series - not as well remembered as the Saint but as fun
10) Dangerous Mission (1954) - pine trees, cable cars and action

No comments: