Sunday, December 27, 2015

Script review - "A Safe Place" by John Sayles (1993)

I've got the feeling that the script I read was rewritten by hands other than Sayles - something about the style (lots of exclamation marks and excitable action descriptions as well as quoting "Art of War" and the script is clearly tailored for Dolph Lundgren) didn't feel solely his work. I could be wrong. But this draft felt very close to the final film, which was worked on by two other writers.

I enjoyed reading this script more than watching the film. Maybe I was in a more forgiving mood or something, but I liked the swiftness with which the characters were created (tough Nick, Aussie Ocker, the wise colonel, female merc Grace), and the logic of the story. I wish they'd found more for Loki the beautiful village girl to do i.e. that she'd been more involved in the fight.

No comments: