Saturday, May 23, 2015

TV review - "Mad Men - Season 7 Part 2" (2015) *** (warning: spoilers)

The second half of season seven did not thrill me on the whole. There was really no new development that outstanding - I was expecting Don to completely flame out and/or die but they didn't go there, more just repeated another crisis where he went off driving through the country.

Nothing really that awesome for a lot of it - I was hoping for more nervous breakdowns, deaths and flame outs. Betty's cancer story was awesome, I always enjoy Roger, I was good that Harry Crane tried to hump dull-but-hot Megan. Sometimes it slipped into wish fulfilment eg Bruce Greenwood as Joan's perfect suitor, Peggy's romance - but these characters deserved it (Pete's character - who I was sure was doing to die/flame out - didn't, though I did like seeing Alison Brie again).

The last ep was pretty good though - it tried something new and for me pulled it out, with perhaps the best ever real life commercial integrated. I also loved Don's three phone calls to Sally, Peggy and Betty - especially the one to Peggy where it seemed like he was going to kill himself. It's lingered with me. So it was worth it for that last episode.

No comments: