Thursday, January 03, 2013

Movie review - "The Buccaneer" (1938) **

I'm all over the shop on these Cecil B de Mille films - ones I assumed I'd hate (The Sign of the Cross) I really liked, others that I figured I'd love, such as this, I couldn't stand. It's got a terrific story - Jean Lafitte in the War of 1812, trying to be loyal to his adopted country despite its suspicion of him - but never quite works (for me, at any rate).

I think I never recovered from the opening; what should have been a sure fire sequence (the burning of Washington) is wrecked by a caricature dumb black servant advising Dolly Madison to get out of Dodge as the British were coming, and one of those de Mille asides where Madison's husband asks what's that she's got with her and she says the Declaration of Independence. Then there's Frederic March, never my favourite actor, looking uncomfortable and unconvincing in curls and an accent as Lafitte - a role that needed a Flynn, Fairbanks or Power gets this middle aged ham who lacks dash and verve. His performance ensures this movie has no emotional core - you don't care about Lafitte's rejection from the US, or having to leave his love at the end, because he's not Lafitte he's an actor in curls.

There's a lot of running around and over acting from the support casting, including a Dutch girl who loves Lafitte and various hammy pirates. Walter Brennan is in it as a Davy Crockett type, Hugh Southern is unmemorable as Hickory Jackson, the female leads are unremarkable. The Battle of New Orleans was quite well done. A real shame.

No comments: