Thursday, September 04, 2008

Vale Michael Pate

A real jolt to read today that Michael Pate had died. He was getting on in years but he always seemed so indestructible. And no kidding I had “call Michael Pate” on my “to do” list – I wanted to chat to him about an article I’m researching on Alec Coppel. Pate worked with Coppel – one of the many, many people Pate worked with. He had an amazingly long and varied career – not just an actor but also director, producer, writer, soldier. Enjoyed a prosperous career in Hollywood as a character actor, came home in the late 60s and continued to work solidly.

His looks typed him as a villain in Hollywood – I particularly remember his Indian in Hondo and his bitter white settler in Something of Value. Marvellous speaking voice, great presence.

A film writer once told me Pate “could talk the arm off a chair” – and he was dead right: I interviewed Pate about Rod Taylor a number of years ago and he certainly liked to tell his stories. But they were funny stories. He was still trying to get up projects too. Actors never retire!

No comments: