Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Book review - "Even This I Get to Experience" by Norman Lear (2014)

 Norman Lear shows never quite had the impact in Oz they did in Australia. Mostly because they weren't as prominent in syndication. I mean Diffrent Strokes was the exception, we all loved that; I recall Good Times and One Day at a Time playing during the say. But Maude was shunted at 3am and I don't recall The Jeffersons, All in the Family, Sanford and Son. Maybe their British originals were too better known. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong (this was the 80s-90s). Maybe the tone of Lear comedies was too aggressive and loud.

I'm so mixed on Lear. I respect and admire him - who could not? The battles he fought, the way he dominated'the culture in the 70s, investing in interesting films like Spinal Tab and Princess Bride, genuine war service in a bomber crew. All those fights with censors. He seemed to lose his TV touch from the 80s onwards but that happens. Tenacious. Taking on those terrible evangelists.

I enjoyed hearing about the actor conflics on Good Times and All the Family. And Jerry Lewis being a pain.

As a person... ah, I dunno. He whines about his shonky dad, and complaining mother. (Would he have been as good a salesman without his dad). Hard worker. Clearly very good writer and producer. Worked for Martin and Lewis on TV in the 50s and people like Martha Raye, Indifferent movie record - films no one gets too excited about like Come Blow Your Horn and Cold Turkey. Earned lots of money but always seemed to be about to lose it (even in the late 80s) then bounced back. two bad marriages. Third to a younger woman - he became a father later in life and had a surrogate. Lot of chat about how people love him, how he saved someone's life.

I stress, I have a lot of admiration and respect for Lear I just didn't dig this book. Maybe I just wanted more about his shows.

No comments: