Saturday, February 17, 2024

Movie review - "Players" (2024) **

 This starts brightly, Gina Rodriguez is a charming rom com hero and there's potential I guess in the concept of a team of friends who work at a paper using sports plays to get mates. This idea isn't really used and the film doesn't really have anywhere to go.

More problematic is that the actors don't have chemistry - Damon Wayans Jnr seems bored, he and Rodriguez don't seem to be friends, neither do the other members of the gang. There's three guys and a girl plus another girl who joins the group... that is very New Girl, Wayans' presence emphasises this, and I think the basic idea wouuld've made a decent New Girl ep only that would've had better characters and gags.

It's amiable, and nicely shot - I like the work the director did. The third act as a screenwriter type crisis ("you didn't read my piece" "you rewrote my piece").

No comments: