Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Book review - "Black Ajax" by George MacDonald Fraser

 Fraser was always excellent describing sports competitions - this is his one attempt, to my knowledge, to put that front and centre. It's a historical biography of a real boxer, Tom Molineaux, a black boxer in Napoleon-era England - Beau Brummel and the like. There were a number of real people who I don't know much about I assume it's accurate. Fraser throws in Flashman's dad.

It's an interesting story, especially if you don't know what's going to happen. The one thing I struggled with was the endless racist language Fraser has characters use to describe Tom - ape and so on. I mean he goes on and on. I know the argument would be "that's what people thought" but it's endless, also every character calls him a savage. With this and Joe from Flashman and the Angels of the Lord Fraser had thuggish brutal black people on the brain in the 1990s.

Aside from that it is skilful.

No comments: