Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Movie review - "What's Love Got to To with It" (2022) **1/2

 Jemima Khan has had a glamorous life - daughter of James Goldsmith, beautiful, married to Imran Khan, dated Hugh Grant, now screnwriter. Those things all would've been more interesting than this.

It's not bad. She provides an emphathetic view of Pakistani life, and sensitively handles arranged marriages verus Western love. Not a lot of romance - the two leads have no chemistry, the pakistan guy is a handsome lout but Lily James doesn't have a twinkle in her eye to make it work. Emma Thompson sparks itn up as do the older Pakistan actors, who are terrific - I didn't know these faces I'm sure they're experienced, they were great. The old ladies scolding modern ways was hilarious I would've liked more of that. It's not very funny.

Works best as a light drama, really. I mean, it's fine. I just would've preferred the story of marrying the captain of the Pakistan cricket team!

No comments: