Monday, June 12, 2023

Movie review - "One Brief Summer" (1971) **

 How did this get made, let alone released in a cinema (although it took a while being shot in 1969). I guess it was cheap. There's no names - though star Clifford Evans was in The Power Game. Evans is an old man - I think pushing sixty - yet the film is about him hooking up with Felicity Gibson who was like 25 or something and looks younger. I thought for a moment that Jennifer Hilary was Evans' younger wife but no she's his daughter

Why didn't they get Kenneth More to be in this? Or some other star? I'm sure they could've got him for nothing.

Gibson has a scene where she takes her clothes off and gets into bed nude to go to sleep. Hilary is also naked getting out of the shower. I mean, appreciate it, but not motivated, no point, I felt sorry for the actress.

Had no sense of attraction between Gibson and Evans. And when Gibson goes off with a hunky farmer her own age it's like "about time".

Directed by John Mackenzie and written by his wife. Peter Egan is the young buck who is sort of keen on Hilary


No comments: