Saturday, September 11, 2021

Movie review - "The Bed Sitting Room" (1969) **

 Look, I get the joke - the nuclear bomb has been dropped and everyone is carrying on as if it hasn't, so they still get the tube, and talk on TV, and chat to the PM... while everything has been bombed out. I mean, what do they eat are they sick, but... Yeah, I get the joke.

The Kurt Weill like score. People acting with British stiff upper lips.

Maybe it was better on stage where absurdity is easier to convey - I felt this about How I Won the War too. Some of it is funny. But at 90 minutes it's a punish. Like War it seems to make the same point again and again and again - it's like enough material for a one act play but that's all.

Strong cast - Michael Hordern, Ralph Richardson, Rita Tushingham, Marty Feldman, Spike Milligan, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore, Colonel Peacock from Are You Being Served. The craft services table would've been fun.

No comments: