Sunday, November 26, 2017

Movie review - "La La Land" (2016) ***1/2

I was resistant to see this - I think all the Oscar hype and I hate to be bullied into seeing a film - but those reservations melted away with that marvelous opening number. It was bright, colourful and fun, and I love how the filmmakers made sure we knew they were really dancing on a real freeway.

It got everything off to a great start - so too did the number "Someone in the Crowd" with Emma Stone and her friends getting ready to go out.

Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone can't exactly sing or dance but they are likeable movie stars. It's very well directed and I loved the bold colours. The musical this reminded me of more than any other was The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort with its colours, non-Broadway feel and unhappy ending.

It did go on a bit and for me there was a too much jazz and talking about jazz - I guess I was more interested in the movie stuff. It may have gotten all those Oscars because old Academy voters were relieved the younger generation hadn't forgotten them.

No comments: