Monday, August 29, 2016

Movie review - "Seven Days... Seven Nights" (1960) (aka "Moderato cantilabe") **

Jean Paul Belmondo later said this film was boring and he was right. No one's denying the talent - Marguerite Duras' script from her novel, Jeanne Moreau, Peter Brook, Belmondo, some stunning black and white cinemtaography. It's a simple story with interesting aspects. It feels realised, if that makes sense - that the filmmakers made the film they wanted to. It satisfies on it's own terms.

But it is dull. It goes on for too long. It avoids drama - you keep waiting for Belmondo and Moreau to go for it but they don't, not really. Moreau is very good. Belmondo seems a bit bored (he was a last minute replacement for Richard Burton).

I'm always nervous about writing these sort of reviews about art house classics because I feel I'm exposing my ignorance or something. That I missed the point. However I do feel I got the point here - I just didn't like it. Maybe I'll change my mind in another viewing in a decade or so.

No comments: