Sunday, June 05, 2016

Movie review - "Joy" (2015) **

I really like Jennifer Lawrence and tend to enjoy David O. Russell movies once I get in the cinema, but this was a slog. It sounds like it's going to be interesting - an unconventional biopic about the inventor of the Miracle Mop - and there are good bits, like her initial sale, and trying to sell the mop, and working for shopping networks.

But I couldn't get into it. There are all these characters - Robert de Niro as dad, Bradley Cooper as a selling executive, Edgar Ramirez as her ex, Diane Ladd as mum, Dascha Polanco as her best friend, Virginia Madsen as mum, Isabella Rossellini as dad's girlfriend, PLUS two kids - but none of them make an impact. I think it's meant to have something to do with family, and also soap operas (they cut away to some) and women's role in society. But... it doesn't hit home. It didn't work for me. Lawrence was watchable, though.

No comments: