Sunday, July 26, 2015

Movie review - "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull" (2008) ***

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that this maligned sequel - so maligned it inspired a very funny South Park episode - is actually not the worst in the series, being better than Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It's definitely not perfect, but at least it tries different things and has some great moments, whereas Crusade merely re-heated old ingredients.

I'm aware of the flaws - Shia Le Bouf is never going to replace Harrison, the CGI is annoying compared to the real stunts of the first three, and I missed the feeling of exotica that came from the US bound shoot, Ray Winstone felt at times to be extraneous. I felt it was also a mistake to not reveal Indy had a son from the get go - sure it would have robbed the piece of surprise but would have given greater emotional underpinning to everything.

But the 1950s setting gives it freshness, with nods to Marlon Brando and the high school bop; Cate Blanchett camps it up to the right degree, Shia and Harrison work well together, there's lots of crazy arsed imagination, it's lovely to have Karen Allen back. Maybe I'll change my mind about how much I liked it but I did like it.

No comments: