Saturday, April 07, 2012

Movie review - "Attack the Block" (2011) **1/2

A return to the territory of Shaun of the Dead only aliens instead of zombies, and street kids in the project instead of under achieving Gen X slackers. For me it got off to a bad start with our heroes mugging a nice nurse with a knife then killing an animal - I know they come from a broken home and all that but it was very hard to feel sympathy. And confusing too - why keep them so hostile and mean all the way through? I know life is hard - it's not that hard.

I guess at least director Joe Cornish has the guts to stick up for his vision. The slang on display is delightful, the cast of young actors are excellent and authentic, there is a decent amount of action. I just didn't care for them and for me the movie never really recovered from it's opening minutes.

No comments: