Sunday, September 26, 2010

Movie review – “Girl 27” (2007) ***

Documentary on a shocking, surprisingly unknown Hollywood scandal - an extra who was raped at an MGM party, tried to complain but was defeated by the system - unearthed by David Stenn, who wrote excellent biographies on Jean Harlow and Clara Bow. 

The story isn't quite big enough to justify a feature, though - so Stenn has to introduce himself as a character, and deal with his relationship with the girl, and talk about her life and family, and talk about another rape victim (Eloise Spann) and Loretta Young's daughter to Clark Gable. 

There are some great moments; the girl is excellent talent (I know it's strange to talk of a rape victim that way, but it's true, she is), there's some wonderful footage, and I enjoyed it a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there :)

What was the most impressive as well as the worst film of the year 2010 in your oppinion? For me personally it might have to be:

Best: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One

Worst: A Nightmare on Elm Street


Cheers :) <3

Bob Aldrich said...

Interesting question... Best film: I really liked "The Social Network". Worst... I think I blocked it out of my head. Maybe a tie between "Cop Out" and "Salt".