Monday, January 21, 2008

Movie review – “I Know Where I’m Going” (1945) *****

Every now and then you have the experience of just sitting down and discovering a film. It happened for me in the early 90s, sitting down and watching this on television. I knew nothing about it and the film just wrapped me up in its arms and embraced me. Years gone on and the affection I have for it remains undimmed: Wendy Hiller’s forthright protagonist, Roger Livesley’s decent lord, the supporting characters (eccentrics but without wacky-ness or twee-ness), the wonderful location photography, a genuinely thrilling boat-in-a-storm sequence (location footage intercut with studio stuff – certainly a lot more realistic than anything Hollywood was going at the time). My favourite bits: Livesley’s declaration that “I don’t mind”, Pamela Brown going “money isn’t everything”, the old couple who can’t say anything at the end just covered in love. Wonderful.

No comments: