Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Movie review - "Puberty Blues" (1981) ***1/2

I loved the TV series but this film holds up well in its ripped from the headlines way - it was contemporary but doesn't sell out. The two lead girls are rough but perfect, they look authentic, as does the boys.

Bruce Beresford excellent in anthropological studies, and this is definitely one - the kicker being these aren't working class girls but middle class girls chasing after social acceptance.

The face that has stuck with me is Freda - the not good looking girl who sleeps around and is ignored. She was heart breaking and I hope the character on which she was based is happy. Geoff Rhoe has a nice presence. I related to the parents a lot more this time around. Beresford keeps the pace fast though I did feel they could do more with the climax. He really was on a hot streak around this time. I think only Ken G Hall matched it.

No comments: