Thursday, June 04, 2020

Movie review - "The FJ Holden" (1977) ***

Michael Thornhill's drama-free style works better here. This is like an observational documentary more than a narrative feature - though there is an overall narrative, which helps it, because it's focused around Paul Couzen's relationship with Eva Dickinson. Both these actors were raw but effective - I'm surprised neither had bigger careers.

I recognised support players like Sigrid Thornton, Graham Rouse, Gary Wadell. The film feels authentic. The rituals - leagues club, work, family dinners, parties, trips to the mall. Tight family and friend units but rife with lack of ambition and bullying. I liked how the movie paid attention to family units - films about young people often focus on them, but here the families clearly influence the characters as much as the friends.

Some things are shocking in their matter of factness - Dickinson sleeps with Couzen's mate before him, because she's expected to do it. Couzens work mates beat him up because it's hilarious. People aren't depressed. I think they need a hobby.

I had to adjust myself to the rhythm of this movie but eventually got into it.

No comments: