Saturday, May 06, 2023

Movie review - "Confess Fletch" (2022) **1/2

 I love how John Hamm, for all his success on Mad Men, just wants to be a comedy star and he's done excellently in some films. It took me a while to get used to him as Fletch - yes the Chevy Chase factor but also this film feels as though it was written for a Chevy type wisecracker. I think Hamm has a more laid back persona. When he's playing laid back against more manic guest stars he's more effective. I also wonder if maybe he should've used voice over. Maybe I'm too hung up on the Chevy Chase factor.

I think people didn't go see this because it feels like an episode of a TV show. It's fun, a decent mystery, some funny bits - but it lacks the all star cast factor of the Ken Branagh Agatha Christies, or Knives Out. Have bigger stars and some more glamour then it could've worked. 

The actors are all fine - familiar types like John Slattery, Annie Mumolo, Roy Moore, etc.


No comments: