Thursday, December 24, 2015

Web review - "Splatter" (2009) *

I love Roger Corman and Joe Dante, so I wanted to love this too, but it's not very good. It looks cheap as anything - like it was shot on old VHS. In the series' defence this was relatively early days for digital but it doesn't hold up well. Corey Feldman has fun as the rock star who kills himself and then invites potential beneficiaries to his will to a mansion and sets about killing them.

There's some humour and broadly drawn characterisations. I got the William Castle throwback but those films had more charm and atmosphere than this. I only saw a 30 minute version - apparently three episodes cut together, whereas there are 10 out there (different versions of people being killed). I get the gimmick but it means we never have time to invest in the characters or their relationships. The splatter feels tacked on.

No comments: